Curriculum: Years 7, 8 and 9
The exception is that there is a choice in the languages where it is necessary to maintain a degree of flexibility to take into account children’s backgrounds and to satisfy Ministry of Education Malaysia requirements for Malaysian children.
The Junior Curriculum will be based mainly on the National Curriculum for England and Wales. Detailed information is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-secondary-curriculum .
All children will have a reasonable level of English when they join the School, but some may still need extra support lessons on a one-to-one or small group basis. In such cases children may be excused one other subject.
Up to Year 8, the curriculum in many independent schools in the UK is defined by the Independent Schools Examinations Board (ISEB). Further information and syllabuses can be found at http://www.iseb.co.uk. ISEB run the Common Entrance exams for entrance into the major UK schools. In the main subjects the Prince of Wales Island International School will follow Common Entrance syllabuses which include, but go beyond, National Curriculum requirements. Year 9 is the introductory year for IGCSEs.
- Science (taught separately as Physics, Chemistry, and Biology from Year 9 onwards)
- English (Language and Literature), English Language Support (as required)
- Humanities (History, Geography)
- Languages (Depending on demand, Bahasa Malaysia, Mandarin, French, German, Spanish)
- Arts and Technology (Art, Design Technology, Computing)
- Performing Arts (Music, Drama)
- Physical Education (including Sport and Dance)
- Personal, Social and Health Education (including Moral Education, Islam and Islamic Studies, as required)