Providing opportunities, and the environment, for children to explore, play, and learn at POWIIS Tanjung Bungah.
Our Nursery and Reception unit is a stimulating, child-centred environment where every child can thrive. By building positive and caring relationships, our teachers will create a warm, welcoming and secure setting in which your child feels valued. A strong partnership between home and school is a priority. In the EYFS, the curriculum covers seven areas for learning and development. These areas are planned for on a weekly basis (although amendments are often made daily) with planning remaining flexible and responsive, taking into account the children’s interests.
Four guiding principles underpin the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) setting:
- Every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured.
- The development of positive relationships between teachers, children and parents are essential.
- Children learn and develop in stimulating environments which respond to their individual needs.
- Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates.
The Seven Areas of Learning and Development
- Communication and Language Development: speaking, listening, expressing oneself in a rich language environment.
- Physical Development: active and interactive activities developing coordination, control and movement. Also the importance of a healthy diet.
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development: developing a positive sense of self, forming positive relationships, developing respect, managing feelings and appropriate behaviours in groups
- Literacy Development: linking sounds to letters for early reading and writing, a wide range of reading materials in the environment.
- Mathematics: developing skills in counting, using numbers, noticing patterns, describing shapes and measurements.
- Understanding the World: making sense of the physical world, learning about the community, people and the environment.
- Expressive Arts and Design: using and exploring a wide range of media, expression through art, music, movement, role-play and design.