POWIIS Tanjung Bungah recognises that our students represent a diverse range of linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
- Mandarin (Pu Tong Hua) is the mother tongue/first language;
- Speak a related Chinese dialect (typically Hokkien/Cantonese) and may have been educated in a Chinese curriculum school (Hua Xiao华小) prior to coming to POWIIS Tanjung Bungah;
- Korean and Japanese students who are familiar with Chinese-based orthography;
- Mandarin is a new language (though not necessarily their second language).
Our two-track approach with the distinct curriculum is the best way to accommodate our diverse learners.
Mandarin as a Foreign/Second Language (MFL/MSL)
Mandarin for Native or Near-Native Speakers (MNN)
- Student placement is met through a collaborative effort between teacher recommendation, placement assessments, student interests and needs.
- Each stream embraces a unique set of standards, benchmarks and assessment tools in addition to a differentiated emphasis of oral proficiency and literacy.